Cultivating the Fruit of the Spirit
ABIDING IN THE VINE
I. Developing spiritual fruit is a process of growth.
II. Every branch that is in Him will be purged.
III. To abide in the presence of the Lord so you can continually bear fruit you must:
1. Get to know the Master better.
2. Be planted properly by not allowing wrong influences in your life.
3. Be planted in the right congregation.
IV. The Lord wants you to continually bear fruit – not fruit that you bore 20 years ago – but fresh fruit.
V. The Fruit is of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)
1. Love is the result of God’s presence. (Romans 5:5; Ephesians 3:16)
2. Joy is the result of salvation (Psalm 51:12; Isaiah 12:3) and of His Word. (Jeremiah 15:6)
3. Peace is a result of justification. (Romans 5:1; Ephesians 1:7; Philippians 4:7; Psalm 119:165)
4. Longsuffering is selfishness conquered. (Colossians 3:13)
5. True gentleness is done when you cherish the individual. (1 Thessalonians 2:7; Matthew 10:15)
6. Goodness is the result of the knowledge of God. (Romans 15:14, Luke 6:27; Galatians 6:10; James 4:17)
7. Faith is developed by love. (Galatians 5:6)
8. Meekness is controlled strength. (1 Peter 3:4; Psalm 37:11, 25:9, 149:4)
9. Temperance is when you bring your body into subjection to the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 9:25-27)
“I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit.” -John 15:5
The Lord declares, “I am.” He didn’t say, “I have a true vine”; He said, “I am the true vine.” This means that the true vine is a person – it is the Lord Jesus Christ. God is the gardener, the husbandman, the One who is making sure that the vine is bearing fruit.
Without the presence of the Lord, it is impossible to bear fruit. Spiritual fruit is not something that you can manufacture. The source of spiritual fruit is the presence of God. You don’t have to work at it, you just have to bear it. He is the true vine, so seek Him every day.
Get all the latest news and updates.